Monday 27 April 2009

Huey Lewis & The News

One time in college when I was at a tournament with the early Space Bastards, we went to JMU for a tournament. This was back in the days when the average college team's skill level and overall athleticism were pretty low; from afar, most college ultimate games back in the early 90's probably looked like a collective seizure, or like a freshly tear-gassed riot or something. As a result we had a decent shot against most of the teams we played against, and at this particular tournament we had come away with more than a few wins.

After the tournament, we headed over to this bar-type restaurant, I forget what it was called. Sparky's or something. The place had been around a while, and it had a lot of autographed celebrity photos and crap on the walls near the hostess stand. Since we had a pretty long wait, I gradually made my way down each and every one of the signatures, mostly from sports celebrities (I don't watch sports, so I had no frigging clue who any of them were), until I spotted it.

On the wall, right at eye level, was a full band shot of Huey Lewis and The News. Huge Vuarnet shades, three-quarter sleeve sports jackets, loafers. Cool, calm, they're walking in a group towards the camera, Reservoir Dogs style, but they're not looking at the camera. No, they're looking to the left and to the right, as though they are expecting some sort of ambush. The photo is the very essence of Huey Lewis & The News. But the highlight, the driving force, the rune that made it special, was the autograph:

"I want a new sub.

Thanks,
Huey Lewis & The News"

I swear to all the many gods of all the religions on Earth that this is true. We were all touched by it, touched in a very special place, like by an angel or something. Better than an angel. "I want a new sub."

My point in writing about all this crap is to drive home the point that Huey Lewis & The News are clutch players. They are always game-ready, swooping in just when you needed them most, like Short Round in Temple of Doom, or Han Solo or something.